Recently I was asked a very good question about how to change a golf swing stroke pattern where the golf club travels too quickly to inside on the backswing making the golf swing too flat. This golfer was challenged to find an effective way to change his golf swing pattern when he was attempting to hit a golf ball towards a target.
In a perfect world every golfer would learn the golf swing techniques first then learn how to use them to hit golf shots to a target, however this is not realistic for the majority of golfers who have already learned their golf swing techniques at the same time they are attempting to hit perfect shots to the target.
If you desire to change your stubborn golf stroke pattern this year once and for all you might like to try the following reprogramming technique.
You can make significant progress with a golf swing change by practicing your swing against a wall (carefully) using the Back to the Wall Golf Swing Reprogramming Drill.
Important: Put a head cover or something protective on the club head before you swing back very slowly to the top of your backswing. When you arrive at the top swing down very slowly through the bottom of the swing and back to the top of the finish position. This is the stroke pattern that you will ingrain over the next few months.
- Swing the golf club back and through at 25 percent of its normal speed being very careful not to hit the wall. Do this 50 times each day for consecutive 7 days.
- Swing the golf club back and through at 50 percent of its normal speed being very careful not to hit the wall. Do this 50 times each day for consecutive 7 days.
- Swing the golf club back and through at 75 percent of its normal speed being very careful not to hit the wall. Do this 50 times each day for 7 consecutive days.
Now that you have completed the golf swing reprogramming home segment you will go to the driving range to develop the new pattern with golf balls.
- Week 1. Go to the driving range and hit 75 shots with your seven iron at 50 percent of your normal speed 3 times each week for 2 weeks. (Do not worry about where the golf ball is going)
- Week 2. Go to the driving range and hit 75 shots with your seven iron at 75 percent of your normal speed 3 times each week for 2 weeks. (Do not worry about where the golf ball is going)
- Week 3. Go to the driving range and hit 100 shots with your seven iron at 75 percent your normal speed 3 times each week for 2 weeks. (Aim to hit your golf shots towards targets)
Now you have completed the golf range reprogramming segment you can go to the golf course to test the new stroke pattern in play.
- Week 4. Go to the golf course and test out your new technique. Swing the golf club at 75 percent of your normal swing speed and have someone video some of your golf swings to validate the changes you have made.
You will discover that you can change your golf stroke pattern if you go about it very deliberately and also improve your golf shot-making consistency.
Remember though, that you change the stroke pattern before your develop your shot-making consistency.
It is very important that you get the order right.
On the driving range before your play you hit golf shots at 75 percent of your normal speed. This is important as your old program operates at 100 percent and if you increase the speed of your golf swing pattern to 100 percent it is likely that your old pattern will start to manifest itself.
This reprogramming technique will work if you follow the program just as it is written.
Let me know how you go once you have completed the program.
Until next time,
This week Golf Confidence Academy (GCA) launches our new Online Video Golf Lesson Program. Every week thousands of keen golfers visit GCA and Lawrie Montague owner of Golf Confidence Academy gets many requests for advice from golfers around the world to help them solve their golf swing technique problems.
Lawrie is a very successful golf coach who has more than twenty five thousand hours of experience coaching golfers from beginners to tournament winners and through the power of the internet he’s able to help golfers to improve their golf so they can play confidently and competently.
Lawrie co-owns Pro Tour Golf College at Joondalup Resort in Perth Western Australia where he trains and prepares aspiring tour professionals and tour professionals. He also owns Gold Coast Golf School on Queenslands Gold Coast where his instructors help amateur golfers to sharpen their golf skillsd to gain more enjoment from their game.
Here’s one of Lawrie’s Online Video Golf Lesson students (who was part of his test program) commenting about the program…
“I stumbled upon Lawrie through his Youtube golf videos. As an avid player, I have seen hours of Youtube footage on golf instruction. I rarely however, watch more than one video within an instructor’s channel. When I found these videos, I was blown away by Lawrie’s ability to analyze the swing.
He explains technical aspects of the swing in a way that is easy to digest, and you can just sense his enthusiasm for the game. I soon after sought Lawrie’s opinion of my golf swing.
I was more than impressed when I received my swing analysis back. Lawrie clearly diagnosed and explained the critical areas where my swing could be more efficient. He also illustrated the positions I should be in, by drawing overlays onto the video.
He then explained certain drills I could work on to achieve these positions. Overall the video lessons I receive from Lawrie are thorough, clearly explained, and without any fluff. I have never heard the physics of the golf swing explained better by anybody anywhere.
Its hard to believe that somebody on the other side of the world could improve my game without ever seeing me in person. My swing continues to evolve and change under Lawrie’s keen eye. I am playing golf with more confidence and awareness then ever before. He can definitely do the same for you!”
Paul – Lantana Florida
So if you would like to have Lawrie help you to improve your golf technique you can visit this page www.golfconfidence.org/online-golf-lessons and go through the simple process to have Lawrie help you to play better and more confident golf.